Connect with us


January 1, Parents Call for Action After 13-Year-Old Daughter Dies from “Chroming”



On May 24th, 1844, Samuel Morse sent the… READ MORE ABOUT THIS HISTORIC DAY HERE

In an agonizing turn of events, the parents of a 13-year-old Melbourne student who died from inhaling aerosol fumes are now on a mission to ensure their daughter’s untimely death is not in vain.

Esra Haynes, a Year 8 student at Lilydale High School, died after participating in a trend known as “chroming” on March 31, 2023.

Chroming, a practice of inhaling chemicals from aerosol cans to achieve a quick high, has become an alarming trend among teenagers.

In Esra’s case, it led to a cardiac arrest and irreversible brain damage. Her parents, Paul and Andrea Haynes, were blindsided by the tragedy.

Now, they are using their grief to advocate for changes that could prevent future tragedies.

They are calling for a change in deodorant formulas to make them safer, an increase in CPR training in schools, and tighter scrutiny on social media, which they believe is a key platform where kids learn about dangerous trends like chroming.

“We need the manufacturers to step up and really change the formulation or the propellants,” said Paul Haynes, emphasizing the lethal potential of these everyday products.

The family’s advocacy comes amidst an increase in chroming-related deaths among Australian teens.

This escalating problem led to a decision by some supermarkets, like Coles and Woolworths, to lock up their deodorant can supplies in 2021.

In light of Esra’s death, the Victorian Education Department has accelerated its efforts to inform students about the dangers of chroming.

However, the Haynes family insists on more robust actions and widespread change to stop another family from suffering a similar tragedy.

Paul Haynes points to the role of social media in spreading dangerous trends and urges stricter oversight: “We need to really lock down on the loopholes” that enable kids to access harmful adult content.

Ultimately, the Haynes family’s mission is to spread awareness about the consequences of chroming.

They hope that, by sharing their devastating experience, they can prevent other families from experiencing the same loss.

“We need to talk about it,” Paul said.

“Esra’s name meant helper so that’s what we’re here to do.”

In their sorrow, the Haynes are embodying the meaning of their daughter’s name, becoming helpers to others and striving to prevent such tragedies from happening again.

Their determined advocacy is a testament to their love for their daughter and their commitment to ensuring her life continues to make a difference.




  1. Doug Litchfield

    May 24, 2023 at 6:56 am

    Just say no, no, no, like any kid will listen to. Used to be called huffing and was not experimented with until ages 15 to 16 years old. Aging doesn’t always guarantee wisdom being lucky enough to survive an episode or two. Seems like there could be a “stoner light kit” demonstration in health classes to warn of this insidious practice. Having local EMT’s give warn of this might be a start in the right direction. They run into this more then on might think.

  2. alan12

    May 24, 2023 at 2:50 pm

    Their stupid child deserved to die for being such an idiot and also the result of poor parenting.

    I will never ever understand the desire to knowingly consume poison and the poor judgement such decisions come from. Seriously, how stupid/low iq can you get?

    • Memere

      May 25, 2023 at 4:00 am

      No one’s child “deserves to die” and this tragic incident has NOTHING to do with stupidity, or bad parenting and EVERYTHING to do with social media enticement and peer pressure; 13 year-olds are NOT worldly wise and even you should know that. So, how about showing a little human kindness and offering those parents (the whole family)a little sympathy for their tragic loss, or don’t you have a human heart? It sure does not sound like it.

      • Deacon

        May 30, 2023 at 12:52 pm

        Thank you. People like Alan12 are heartless idiots that think they are brilliant editorialists. In reality they are A drain on a normal society.

  3. StanB

    May 24, 2023 at 9:45 pm

    Nature has a way of dealing with these addictions, there is glue sniffing, gasoline sniffing, fentanyl, heroin, cocaine, washing machine pods, etc, all have resulted in very short life expectancy and parents who “didn’t have a clue”. How bad a life can a person be living that they think these drugs will make it better, it’s a delusion and doesn’t solve a thing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *