Family of 7 Found Dead in Minnesota Home
In Minnesota, seven people, including three children, were found dead inside a home in Moorshead.
Family members of the deceased were conducting a welfare check on December 18 when they found the victims and called 911. The Moorhead Police and Fire departments confirmed the deaths of the seven individuals.
“This is an absolute horrible tragedy, made even more poignant since it is close to the holidays,” Moorhead Mayor Shelly Carlson said. “My heart aches for the family and friends who received this devastating news over the weekend.”
Police said there was no sign of forced entry at the scene. The Moorhead medical examiner ruled out trauma as a cause of death. Officials later released a preliminary lab result of the victims’ bloodwork, showing lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
“Today, the Moorhead Police Department received the blood results that listed a lethal level of carbon monoxide toxicity in the victims,” the department wrote in a press release.
The investigation found two sources that produce carbon monoxide: the furnace and a Kia van. Officials said they could not duplicate a furnace malfunction that would cause the deadly gas to enter the home.
“Further testing from victim blood samples is being conducted at a qualified separate lab to determine if there is a presence of hydrogen cyanide which originates from the exhaust of a motor vehicle,” the police department said. “This lab test result may take up to eight weeks for results. Once those lab results are finalized, we will move closer to defining the cause of the poisoning.”
Police noted that the investigation is still active, but the new information “should provide more answers for the cause of this tragic situation.”