August 25, 2022

School District Brings Back “Corporal Punishment”

A Missouri school district is reviving a long-dormant discipline method: a paddle.

Southern Missouri’s Cassville School District implemented a new policy that enables corporal punishment. Administrators say it would only be used as a last resort if other disciplinary methods prove unsuccessful.

Superintendent Dr. Meryl Johnson said the new policy is the result of a survey of district parents last year.

“The complaints that we have heard from some of our parents is that they don’t want their students suspended. They want another option,” Johnson said. “And so, this was just another option that we could use before we get to that point of suspension.”

“Corporal punishment will be used only when other means of discipline have failed and then only in reasonable form, when the principal approves it,” Johnson said.

But some parents say they’re shocked by the change.

“I do not think it is appropriate,” said Miranda Waltrip, who has three children in Cassville schools. “You know, there are a lot of kids in the school district that don’t have parents that use resources the way that they should for their children.”

Waltrip told KOLR she’d like to see Cassville School District implement other methods instead of a paddle.

“You know, I feel like if they had a different outlet like counseling services and school instead of corporal punishment, that would be the more appropriate answer,” Waltrip said.

“At the end of the day they are having to hold the child down and spank them or use whatever means that they can to make the child submissive when that is not the issue, it is the fact that they need to be heard because children act out for varied reasons,” she added.

Source: KOLR

16 comments on School District Brings Back “Corporal Punishment”

1. I DO NOT APPROVE OF SPANKING KIDS….TEACHERS TODAY CANNOT BE TRUSTED TO
    TO USE COMMON SENSE IN CORPORAL PUNISHMENT. THEY ARE ON DRUGS, MENTAL FATIGUE, ETC.
    MY VOTE SAYS NO…I AM A 7TH DISTRICT MISSOURIAN…

1. John M. says:

As a parent and retired teacher and administrator, I have to say I no longer sub teach partly because many of todays kids are totally out of control. I had to substitute for one teacher because the kids attacked her and put her in the hospital. I had another kid who was brought in after having been kicked out of three other schools for disciplinary reasons. I do not generally favor corporal punishment for kids unless it is administered under supervision and preferably by their parent. I do favor suspension for kids who are violent, repeated offenders. In most cases, the problem is that the kids have never been disciplined at home and no one has ever told them to do something and actually expected them to do it.

1. Bob says:

A butt spanking is needed sometimes to get their attention.

2. Dave says:

A lot like non responsible parents that don’t teach their kids to be respectful of authoritative figures, you seem to be one. Kids have nothing to fear if they act properly in school. Those that didn’t pay the price. Maybe it would be better to paddle the parents instead.

2. I VOTE NO FOR PADDLING..

1. Lorrie says:

Parents get introuble for spanking their own children these days because they get reported for abuse..Now we suppose to let other people spank them.. I think not.. Good luck with that

3. Fernandina Ivanyo says:

Nowadays kids easily get out of control cause they’re given too many choices at home. I vote yes for reasonable paddling.

1. TONY says:

I agree with you ! There is no discipline at home anymore, so kids have no respect for anyone . The liberal schools have made it worse by the day! When I was in school, (60’s / 70’s) we knew what would happen when we got out of line. It was a great deterrent to unruly students. We RESPECTED OUR TEACHERS !! I think it is high time to start busting butts again. Kids today really need it.

4. Ernie says:

spanking with reason can be effective and if done with a loving attitude. Students who have experienced it at home applied with a loving attitude, will probably not need it at school

5. margaret CALHOUN hemenway says:

The paddle hung over the principal’s office when I was in elementary school was a major incentive to behave. I don’t remember it ever being used in 6 years in school but I knew I’d be punished even more severely by my parents if I ever disrespected a teacher or misbehaved at school. It’s more about the shame than it is about physical punishment– it’s a humiliation. Sometimes that might be necessary for stubborn, rebellious children. I’ve learned myself as a parent, that for children today, taking their cell phones away works extraordinarily well.

6. Mark says:

I taught school in the late 70’s in Western Samoa. While there I had a student that was a constant problem. One day I was invited to the office to observe his being disciplined by the Vice Principal with a rubber hose. I stood there in shock as the discipline was administered. I had never seen anything like that before or since. The student was never a problem afterwards. I don’t know if any others received such harsh punishment because all students were afraid to tell parents if they were beat because they would be beat by parents for getting beat at school because they felt they must have done something to deserve it. It was a different culture and time. Just an observation, not saying it was or not deserved. Our students here and now need something to understand respect for teachers. I don’t think a beating like that at school is the answer, but maybe it is something that needs to taught at home.

7. laurie kurs says:

If a parent hits their kid…a kid could call DYFUS – report the parent…and the parent gets “slapped”. A teacher who is already annoyed, angry, insulted and happens to be BIGGER & STRONGER than the kid – should not be expected to contain HOW hard or HOW LONG the beating, paddling, whipping…..lasts. And, if G-D forbid an injury should occur…who Is prepared to be responsible???
    And, if one expects that a kid wont fight back as most anyone would to defend themseves, protect themselves, or in anger…What is the next step….another BIGGER paddle???

8. Spare the rod and spoil the child, is an old way that worked. Kids don’t need to think that they are the boss, there are laws and rules your whole life. Parents need to be spanking their children when they don’t mind also. The parent has to have control over them and they need to be taught to respect their elders, if it is a teacher, parents, grandparents, or neighbors.

9. Russ says:

Have parent ordered in to paddle kid under supervision. It’s the parents fault and government sticking noses in where it shouldn’t be that has made the child spoiled. Discipline is non-existent. Maybe parent will learn responsibility and not be so lazy about discipline themselves. The kids are not taught respect, control, or manners. Most parents today ignore their kids and hand them a cell phone or video game to keep them occupied while parent goes about their own self-centered life. I see it every day.

10. Major Kong says:

How many swats will the kid receive? How hard will the swats be? Who gives the swats? If the kid receives any kind of injury from the swat, who will be responsible for the injury, the school district or the person giving the swat? I remember back in the day when a nun used a 3 cornor ruler on a kid and broke every knuckle on both his hands. The nun should’ve been disciplined or the catholic diocese should’ve been sued but nothing happened except for the person taking their son and his siblings out of the school….

11. Cliff Denton says:

In todays United States of African America the lowest standards in everything are being achieved.
    The country once, highly respected is now in turmoil through lack of discipline in all walks of life.