Rick Scott floats idea of removing Biden from office over Afghanistan
Good morning Americans,
Sen. Rick Scott, the chair of the Senate GOP campaign arm, floated the possibility of using the 25th Amendment to remove President Joe Biden from office. “After the disastrous events in Afghanistan, we must confront a serious question: Is Joe Biden capable of discharging the duties of his office or has time come to exercise the provisions of the 25th Amendment?” Scott tweeted on Monday. Under the previously unused 25th Amendment, the vice president and the majority of the Cabinet could remove the president by declaring him unfit for office. While this is extremely unlikely, it does echo former President Trump’s calls for Biden to step down due to the Taliban’s advancements in Afghanistan.
President Biden and former President Trump are pointing fingers at each other over who is to blame for the fall of Afghanistan amid the botched evacuation attempts. Over the weekend, Biden said that the withdrawal of US troops was originally negotiated by the Trump administration. In turn, Trump is leading the charge among the GOP to criticize Biden’s handling of the withdrawal, going so far as to call for Biden’s resignation in a statement made on Sunday. Some say both leaders hold some responsibility. “I’ve said countless times that withdrawing our troops emboldens our enemies and puts our allies in grave danger. And yet, both President Trump and President Biden made their announcements anyway — broadcasting to our enemies that we were leaving and telling our allies around the world that we had given up,” Rep. Adam Kinzinger, an Air Force veteran, said in a statement. “The reality we face now is sad, and the aftermath will be dangerous and devastating.”
Mainstream media outlets criticized President Biden’s botched withdrawal of troops, including those that are typically left-leaning. CNN’s Jake Tapper called the situation a “tragic foreign policy disaster.” Tapper went on to sharply criticize Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, asking him: “This is not just about the overall idea of leaving Afghanistan. This is about leaving hastily and ineptly. Secretary Blinken, how did President Biden get this so wrong?” The Atlantic published a story entitled “Biden’s Betrayal of Afghans Will Live in Infamy.” CNN’s Tim Naftali was one of many to compare the situation to the infamous fall of Saigon. “This is the Saigon moment for President Biden and this will be an albatross around his neck for the rest of time,” Naftali said.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Miley, warned that the fall of Afghanistan to the Taliban could accelerate the possible threat of terrorist groups reforming in the country. The US’s highest-ranking military officer reportedly issued his warning during a phone briefing between top officials in the Biden administration and a bipartisan group of members of Congress. Back in June, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin revealed that the likelihood of the resurgence of terrorist groups in Afghanistan. “I would assess it as medium, it would take possibly two years for them to develop that capability,” Lloyd said at the time. Miley reportedly said that the timeline would be shortened in light of the current goings-on.
The Supreme Court will hear arguments on Nov. 3 in a major Second Amendment case on whether the Constitution guarantees the right to carry guns outside of the home. The challenge, backed by the National Rife Association, is in reference to a century-old New York law which requires some applicants to demonstrate “proper cause” to obtain concealed carry licenses. Previously, lower courts upheld the law, though challengers argue that the rules violate the Second Amendment. “Repetition of an error does not cure the error; it just heightens the need for this Court’s review,” the appeal to the Supreme Court read.
North Carolina lawmakers are working to pass a bill that could put an end to the state’s reputation as the go-to place to bring child brides. According to the Associated Press, “The proposed legislation would raise the minimum marriage age from 14 to 16 and limit the age difference between a 16-year-old and their spouse to four years.” Drew Reisinger, the register of deeds in Buncombe County, said that Two-thirds of marriage applications in Buncombe County last year that involved at least one person under 18 originated from people who lived outside of North Carolina. Reisinger added that a 49-year-old man and 17-year-old girl recently came from Kentucky seeking a license.
- Senate GOP campaign chairman floats 25th Amendment, probe against Biden
- Biden, Trump battle over who’s to blame for Afghanistan
- Mainstream media crushes Biden for ‘flat-footed,’ ‘humiliating’ betrayal of Afghans as Taliban takes control
- Return of Taliban in Afghanistan could accelerate rise of terror groups, top US general warns
- Supreme Court will hear arguments Nov. 3 over NRA-backed challenge to NY gun law
- North Carolina is child bride destination; bill could end it