Connect with us

Latest News

January 1, It’s Win Big or Go Home for Biden in South Carolina

Published

on

This Day in History | 1940 

Hattie McDaniel becomes first African American actress to win Oscar for her role in Gone with the Wind. 

Good morning Middle Americans, 

It’s almost impossible to state the importance of a big Joe Biden win on Super Tuesday . Some experts say he’s gotta win by at least five points if he has any chance of having a shot on Super Tuesday. 

President Trump’s search for an intel chief returns to a familiar face. Rep. John Ratcliffe of Texas has been tapped again for the post.  President Trump has floated his name before but the nomination was greeted with a luke warm response from GOP senators. 

The stock market suffered another bad day on Friday. Wall Street is still wondering how bad things are going to get. And past that, some people are wondering if the Federal Reserve bank has enough juice to keep things from getting really bad.  

Finally today we have a first hand account of what it’s like to have the coronavirus. And according to one man – ‘it isn’t that bad’. 

Read all about it!

– Fraser Dixon

Biden Needs Blowout SC Win to Reshape Race

(The Hill) – Former Vice President Joe Biden isn’t just looking for a win in South Carolina — he’s looking for a blowout.

There is tangible confidence in the Biden camp that he will win the Palmetto State primary on Saturday, but the question is, by how much?

His supporters know the stakes.

“I think it has got to be at least five points. Ten points is optimum and anything beyond 10 points would be extra,” said Dick Harpootlian, a storied figure in South Carolina politics who is currently a state senator and sits on the finance committee of Biden’s campaign.

“Five to ten points is enough of a win to show to the rest of the country,” Harpootlian added.

Meanwhile, Amanda Loveday, a South Carolinian and senior advisor to a Super PAC supporting Biden, insisted that “a win is a win.”  But she clearly held out hopes for a more emphatic result, telling The Hill, “You’re on the ground here. You can tell that the wind is at his back.”

The margin of a Biden victory in South Carolina is far from an academic question. He needs a win that packs enough punch to reshape the national race.

Read more here

Trump to Nominate Rep. John Ratcliffe Again as Intel Chief

(Politico) – President Donald Trump on Friday said he would nominate Rep. John Ratcliffe as the next director of national intelligence — the second time he has put forward his fierce congressional ally for the job.

The Texas Republican was previously announced in July as Trump’s next intel chief, only to be withdrawn five days later amid muted support from GOP senators and questions about whether he had overstated his qualifications. Trump’s decision to nominate the congressman a second time will revive what is expected to be a testy confirmation battle to install a close political ally at the top of an intelligence apparatus Trump has frequently derided.

Find out more here

Can the Fed Inoculate US Economy Against Virus Impact?

(AFP) – The US Federal Reserve stands ready to take action to counter the risks posed by the novel coronavirus crisis, the central bank’s chairman Jerome Powell said Friday, while insisting that the US economy remains in a good position.

The rare unscheduled formal statement, released as concerns mount that the virus’s worldwide spread could derail global growth, seems to rule out an emergency interest rate cut over the weekend, but is a sign President Donald Trump may soon get what he has been demanding: lower borrowing rates.

Repeating his message of recent weeks, Powell said: “The fundamentals of the US economy remain strong.”

But faced with plunging stock markets as Wall Street suffers its worst week since the 2008 global financial crisis, he acknowledged that the coronavirus “poses evolving risks to economic activity.”

Learn more here

I have the Coronavirus. So Far, it Isn’t That Bad

(The Washington Post) – I have the coronavirus. And it hasn’t been that bad.

I am in my late 60s, and the sickest I’ve ever been was when I had bronchitis several years ago. That laid me out on my back for a few days. This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don’t have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual.

I caught the virus on the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship that was quarantined outside Yokohama for 14 days, at the end of a 16-day cruise I took with my wife, Jeri. When I left the ship a couple of weeks ago, I felt fine. We checked our temperatures throughout our quarantine. Jeri and I got a swab test for the virus. Our temperatures were normal; they’d get the swab results back in 48 hours. Our test results had not arrived before we boarded buses for the airport, where two U.S. government planes waited for us.

Read more here


Latest News

Tragic Discovery: Deadly Trap Door Found in Bronx Day Care

Published

on

A heart-wrenching scene unfolded in a Bronx day care. A 1-year-old lost his life, and three others were injured. Investigators believe the exposure to fentanyl is to blame.

Investigators executed a search warrant, revealing a trap door in the play area of the day care apartment. Hidden inside were large quantities of fentanyl and other narcotics.

Authorities unveiled that a kilo of fentanyl was stored on playmats. A device to press drugs into bricks was also discovered, painting a grim picture of the day care’s dual life.

Owner Grei Mendez and her tenant Carlisto Acevedo Brito are currently facing murder charges. They’re in federal custody, held without bail, connected to horrifying federal drug trafficking charges.

A grand jury in the Bronx has returned an indictment related to the tragic events. However, the specific charges remain sealed pending arraignment.

District Attorney Darcel Clark passionately voiced her commitment to seek justice. “Every single person in this county feels what they feel, that they entrusted day care center to take care of their children,” she said.

Mayor Eric Adams was visibly upset about the horrifying incident. “This is total madness that we lost a child to this dangerous substance,” he exclaimed, calling for a full national assault on this drug.

The day care, catering to children between 6 weeks and 12 years old, had passed a city inspection just last week. Despite this, a secret life of drug conspiracy thrived behind closed doors.

Mendez’s attorney claims her only crime was renting a room to someone who had a kilo of fentanyl. However, the presence of drug paraphernalia raises haunting questions.

Officials remain vigilant and are conducting thorough investigations. It’s crucial to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the children who are victims of this tragic incident.

What We Think

This is just downright heartbreaking and maddening. Little kids, innocent lives, and then there’s this poison, this fentanyl, in their safe space. The trust parents put in day cares, completely shattered. It makes one question, how many more places are like this, running dual lives?

These revelations, they just bring forth the need for stricter, much stricter, oversights and regulations. Folks ought to be able to trust that their kids are safe, that they are cared for when they’re away.

And to the folks responsible, if they’re guilty, they better face the full force of the law. The safety of our little ones should never be compromised, never.

As our loyal readers, we encourage you to share your thoughts and opinions on this issue. Let your voice be heard and join the discussion below.


Source

Continue Reading

Featured

Chicago Eyes First Government-Run Grocery Store

Published

on

roots vegetarian and organic grocery store (2)

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announced a potential game-changer. The city is exploring creating a government-owned grocery store. This is to help “historically underserved communities.”

Mayor Johnson emphasized that every resident deserves convenient, affordable, and healthy grocery options. “A better, stronger, safer future is one where our youth and our communities have access to the tools and resources they need to thrive,” he said.

The mayor’s commitment is to bring innovative, whole-of-government solutions to tackle existing inequities. “I am proud to work alongside partners to take this step in envisioning what a municipally owned grocery store in Chicago could look like,” stated Johnson.

He noted that this project promotes “food equity.” The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s estimates reveal significant disparities in access to grocery stores in different areas of the city.

If realized, this would make Chicago the first major US city to have a government-owned grocery store to address “food inequity.”

Ameya Pawar from the Economic Security Project pointed out the transformative potential of this project. “The City of Chicago is reimagining the role government can play in our lives by exploring a public option for grocery stores via a municipally owned grocery store and market,” he said.

Pawar drew parallels with libraries and the postal service, saying a public option brings economic choice and power to communities. He sees a city-owned grocery store as a viable way to restore access to healthy food in neglected areas.

Currently, the administration is conducting a feasibility study. It’s determining how the new store can operate successfully in addressing the community needs and disparities in food access.

What We Think:

This move by Chicago to start a government-run grocery store is surely an interesting one. It’s about giving all folks, no matter where they live, access to good food. Now, we’ve seen government-run things before, like the post office.

So, the big question is, can the government really run a store efficiently and help the folks on the South and West sides?

It’s a noble goal to bring good food to every part of the city, especially where folks have had it tough. But, will this actually work or just end up being another failed government experiment? Only time will tell.

As our loyal readers, we encourage you to share your thoughts and opinions on this issue. Let your voice be heard and join the discussion below.


Source

Continue Reading

Latest News

Congresswoman Clashes with ABC Anchor over Biden’s Impeachment Inquiry

Published

on

In a heated confrontation, Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) stood firm against ABC News anchor Jonathan Karl, accusing him of overlooking substantial evidence while discussing the impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden.

The clash unfolded on ABC News’ “This Week,” where Mace faced questions about the criticism from fellow Republican, Rep. Ken Buck, who opposes the inquiry. Mace was quick to put aside Buck’s apprehensions, asserting “the facts are everywhere.”

Mace highlighted various forms of evidence, including text messages, emails, witnesses, whistleblowers, meetings, phone calls, and dinners. “You can’t say, ‘Hey, there’s a little bit of smoke, we’re not going to follow the fire,'” she stated, emphasizing the necessity of pursuing the truth.

Mace also underscored the importance of expanded subpoena powers provided by the inquiry.

“I want the bank records of Joe Biden. All of that should be on the table to prove out the allegations in the reports,” she explained, referring to claims involving substantial sums of money and bribery, which, according to Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution, could be grounds for impeachment.

Karl counterargued, insisting repeatedly there is “no evidence” to support the allegations against Biden, a point Mace contested vehemently.

“There are witnesses. The 1023 form,” she responded, “There is evidence. You can’t say that there’s no evidence when there is evidence.”

Mace seemed astounded by Karl’s insistent denials and took a moment to remind him of the crucial role journalists played during the Nixon era, holding politicians accountable.

“It was the media and journalists when Nixon was going down that helped do that investigation, helped bring down the president when he broke the law,” Mace reflected.

She emphasized the visible shift in journalism standards, observing that media now seems to “deny that there’s evidence. It’s everywhere.”

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has often pointed out that the impeachment inquiry is a tool granting lawmakers broader powers to delve into whether Biden has engaged in corrupt activities to financially benefit his family.

While this doesn’t necessarily mean impeachment proceedings will follow, it does enable lawmakers to trace the “smoke” alluded to by Mace.

Interestingly, Karl’s staunch stance on the lack of evidence against Biden comes after the White House reportedly sent talking points to the media, instructing them to underplay any evidence that has been unveiled.

What We Think

What we’re witnessing here is not just a heated debate but a stark reminder of the role that media ought to play in holding our leaders accountable. Nancy Mace’s staunch stance against Jonathan Karl’s claims serves as a wake-up call, urging us to question whether we are being presented with the complete truth.

There’s an evident shift in how media handles evidence and accountability compared to the times of Nixon. This conversation is crucial, especially when significant accusations of bribery are on the line.

Whether or not the impeachment proceedings go forth, our nation deserves transparency, accountability, and truth from both our politicians and the media.

As our loyal readers, we encourage you to share your thoughts and opinions on this issue. Let your voice be heard and join the discussion below.


Source

Continue Reading

Trending